[CCWG-ACCT] "Christmas trees" and "Consumer Trust" in Article 1 of the Bylaws

Eric (Maule) Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Wed Jan 13 00:44:33 UTC 2016

Avri,

The exercise of delegated rule making (Prof. Froomkin's language, not the
more familar Jones Day's language) does not vacate the delegating agency's
larger obligations, which includes a respect for human rights. [1]

> I still maintain that as a vassal of the NTIA, ICANN would have been
> constrained to respect human rights and that the loss of NTIA forces
> us to take some responsibility for that as a corporation, especially
> in regard to an open Internet.

So I agree with your statement as to where the responsibility lies.

Eric Brunner-Williams
Eugene, Oregon

[1] Some laughter is permissible at the human rights pretentions of the USG.