[CCWG-ACCT] Deck for Meeting #75 Mission Statement discussion

David Post david.g.post at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 18:51:37 UTC 2016

Is it possible to analyze these problems by
asking first whether ICANN has imposed these
requirements (for e.g. a stakeholder council) on
the applicant as a condition of entry into the
root or, instead, it's a voluntary commitment
undertaken by the applicant for its own purposes
(e.g. to get the support of global environmental
organizations, to get external funding, or what have you).

If it were the former, then I think I do have a
problem with ICANN's enforcement of the provision
absent some demonstration both that it is
reasonably necessary for the
stability/security/interoperability of the DNS
(which I wouldn't think it is, on the face of it
from your hypothetical) and that it is otherwise
within the confines of the mission.  On the other
hand, to the extent that the applicant made some
voluntary undertaking that was not viewed by
ICANN as a condition of its entry into the root,
I have less of a problem in saying that ICANN can
take steps to enforce the contractual promises made to it by third parties.

I know it's a fuzzy line - maybe too fuzzy to be
workable.  But I do think that it might be the
line that we've been struggling to define throughout this discussion.
David

At 12:59 PM 1/14/2016, Burr, Becky wrote:
>I understand these concerns.  Let me try to make my concerns concrete,
>particularly in the context community applications for new gTLDs, which
>may contain provisions that are a condition of community support but not
>strictly within ICANN¹s wheelhouse.
>
>Say, for example, that a community .eco application included provisions,
>for example, requiring registrants to disclose certain information about
>their environmental practices, and assume for the moment, that the
>requirement was the result of input from an advisory group consisting of
>global environmental organizations and a condition of the support of those
>groups.  (I believe that these suppositions are factual but it really
>doesn¹t matter.)  Suppose, also, that the application includes an
>obligation to maintain and support a stakeholder¹s council consisting of
>representatives from global environmental organizations.  Another example,
>suppose .bank requires registrants to demonstrate a certain regulatory
>status, and imposed that requirement to gain the support of financial
>institutions?
>
>All of those commitments, by virtue of their inclusion in the application,
>are enforceable by ICANN.  But say that the applicant decides to abandon
>the disclosure requirement and disbands the stakeholder council.  Are
>either of those commitments reasonably necessary to facilitate openness,
>interoperability, resilience, security and/or stability of the DNS?  Is
>ICANN¹s contractual authority to enforce those commitments ³in service² of
>ICANN¹s stability and security Mission?
>
>We could say that the community preference for new gTLDs is the result of
>bottom-up, multistakeholder policy development and that contractual
>enforcement is ³in service² of that policy.  But I don¹t know if that
>actually resolves the need to be reasonably necessary to facilitate
>stability, security, etc.
>
>Thoughts??
>

>J. Beckwith Burr
>Neustar, Inc. / Deputy
>General Counsel & Chief Privacy Officer
>1775 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington D.C. 20006
>Office: +1.202.533.2932  Mobile: +1.202.352.6367 / neustar.biz
><http://www.neustar.biz>
>

>On 1/14/16, 12:03 PM, "Paul Rosenzweig"
><paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com> wrote:
>
> >I share Malcolm's view of voluntary commitments.  Leaving aside what may
> >have gone before, allowing the parties to an agreement to contract around
> >binding limitations on their action would, effectively, nullify the
> >Mission-limitation principle that is at the core of the accountability
> >structure we are building.  I can live with grandfathering in prior
> >mistakes
> >in this regard, if I have to, but it is essential that the line be drawn
> >for
> >future actions in stone, not sand.
> >
> >Cheers
> >Paul
> >
> >Paul Rosenzweig
> [...]

David G Post - Senior Fellow, Open Technology Institute/New America Foundation
blog (Volokh Conspiracy) http://www.washingtonpost.com/people/david-post
book (Jefferson's Moose)  http://tinyurl.com/c327w2n
music http://tinyurl.com/davidpostmusic
publications etc.  http://www.davidpost.com