[CCWG-ACCT] Deck for Meeting #75 Mission Statement discussion

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Fri Jan 15 15:00:01 UTC 2016

Hi,

While I agree with the principle that commitments need to be voluntary
and the coercion is reason for contract nullification,  I also think it
is a matter of law to define coercion.

I would also argue that the PICs, the example under discussion, were not
a matter of coercion, certainly not in any criminal sense.  Not everyone
made such commitments and those did go forward.  On those commitments
that were imposed after the policy and initial contract had been set and
then changed for the so-called regulated industries, while I deplore the
fact that those were set without proper ICANN process and would consider
it a process error, I do not believe that this was coercion.  For better
or worse, this sort of back and forth of requirements is a normal part
of contract negotiation.  The applicants could have refused and fought
it.  They made a business decision that for financial reasons made sense
to them and then decided whether to fight or sign.

I also do not agree that PICs  necessarily constitute mission creep,
whatever that might actually mean - Yet Another Undefined Term (YAUT)
and something that is in the eye of the beholder, or a possible future
IRP. On PICS, I think the problem is a process error and one that could,
in the future,  be challenged based on the Articles change on requiring
bottom-up multistakeholder process based decisions.    Something like
this could become a IRP action in a possible future, assuming we succeed
in this accountability process.

avri