[CCWG-ACCT] Deck for Meeting #75 Mission Statement discussion

David Post david.g.post at gmail.com
Sat Jan 16 00:27:07 UTC 2016

At 06:07 PM 1/15/2016, Greg Shatan wrote:
>This is not "regulatory authority" at all.  It
>the enforcement of a bilateral agreement between
>ICANN and the registry operator.  I think this
>is a conflation of contractual enforcement and
>regulation, which are two different things. SNIP

Let me add one brief comment here before I run
out the door, and then try to give a more
detailed comment to this very interesting thread
when I can compose a longer note.

The problem we're wrestling with is that some
"contractual enforcement" is, in fact, an
exercise of something that closely resembles
"regulatory authority," and we're trying to define where that line is.

At one extreme, let's say ICANN enters into a
contract with its office supply company - Staples
- and it gets Staples to promise various things -
a 25% discount, that it won't employ non-union
labor, that it will deliver on Sundays, etc
etc.  Nobody (I wouldn't think) would have a
problem with ICANN enforcing those contract
terms, even without any "community consensus" on
the matter, and without any need to show that
doing so is within ICANN's narrow mission.

That's the "contractual enforcement" side.  At
the other end of the spectrum, if ICANN says to a
gTLD applicant that as a condition of entry into
the root, it must charge its customers
such-and-such, or use only union labor, or have a
particular kind of "license," then it's engaged
in something that looks a LOT like "regulation,"
because it has monopoly control over a valuable
resource and its "contract terms" are, in effect,
rules (or "regulations") that you must comply
with (or leave the space entirely).  And for
those, ICANN should, in my opinion, be tightly
bound to abide by the restrictions in the mission.

David

> [...]
> >
> >ii) Alternatively, ICANN could investigate the case and come to its own
> >view as to whether what the registry has done is sufficient to discharge
> >its contractual obligation. However it can ONLY do that by first forming
> >a view as to what the PIC requires. So in the putative case, ICANN could
> >only enforce a requirement to make reasonable environmental disclosures
> >if it itself determines what it considers constitutes a reasonable
> >environmental disclosure. Likewise it can only enforce a commitment to
> >prevent harassment by setting standards for what constitutes harassment,
> >it can only enforce a commitment take down copyright infringing material
> >by deciding whether particular publications infringe copyright, and it
> >can only enforce a commitment to prevent access to certain web sites by
> >minors by deciding both what age constitutes a minor, and what are
> >acceptable means for identifying them and for excluding them from access.
> >
> >In other words, the idea that ICANN can "enforce" PICs without itself
> >determining the standards that PICs seek to enforce simply doesn't stand
> >up to scrutiny. As soon as ICANN is called on to enforce a PIC against a
> >registry, it must necessarily assert that a particular kind of action is
> >required by the PIC, and distinguish it from the action actually
> >undertaken that the registry asserts to be sufficient. This is the core
> >of regulatory activity. I have no problem whatsoever with ICANN engaging
> >in this kind of regulatory behaviour for matters within its limited
> >Mission, but if we invite ICANN to take this on for an unlimited range
> >of objectives claimed to be in the public interest, we are essentially
> >investing ICANN with a global policing power.
> >
> >Some may be happy to see ICANN go down that route. I would not: I think
> >it has neither the capacity nor the legitimacy. But I am also worried by
> >those who have managed to convince themselves that it is possible to
> >enforce PICs for an unlimited range of purposes without itself becoming
> >embroiled in setting the rules for those purposes. Those people are, I
> >believe, simply kidding themselves.
> >
> >Malcolm.
> >
> >--
> >Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Malcolm Hutty | tel:
> <tel:%2B44%2020%207645%203523>+44 20 7645 3523
> >Â  Â Head of Public Affairs | Read the LINX Public Affairs blog
> > London Internet Exchange |
> ><https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=htt
> p-3A__publicaffairs.linx.net>https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__publicaffairs.linx.net
> >_&d=CwIF-g&c=MOptNlVtIETeDALC_lULrw&r=62cJFOifzm6X_GRlaq8Mo8TjDmrxdYahOP8W
> >DDkMr4k&m=F3FlEVYbysKtCNonZguZbv90urP8qDBk_08KcwSbnzQ&s=ksR3GCVlhY-LMF3l9w
> >mgX_POXp3jz25-xZ5f0KkUo-E&e=
> >
> >Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â  Â London Internet Exchange Ltd
> >Â  Â  Â  Â Monument Place, 24 Monument Street, London EC3R 8AJ
> >
> >Â  Â  Â  Â  Â Company Registered in England No. 3137929
> >Â  Â  Â  Â Trinity Court, Trinity Street, Peterborough PE1 1DA

David G Post - Senior Fellow, Open Technology Institute/New America Foundation
blog (Volokh Conspiracy) http://www.washingtonpost.com/people/david-post
book (Jefferson's Moose)  http://tinyurl.com/c327w2n
music
http://tinyurl.com/davidpostmusic  publications