[CCWG-ACCT] Board remarks on Human Rights, IRP and Community IRP

Kavouss Arasteh kavouss.arasteh at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 07:34:06 UTC 2016

Dear All,
Once again ,I appreciate the Board's  comments on human Rights and its
relatiion with IRP.
For ease of reading I would comment on each paragraph  as follows:

*Board’s Views on Human Rights *

*The Board appreciates the work by the community on the first readings of
reactions to the public comment on the Third Draft Proposal from the
CCWG-Accountability.  In preparation for the second reading, the Board
provides these inputs to the CCWG-Accountability on inclusion of Human
Rights in the Bylaws, Scope of IRP and Scope of Community IRP*

* Comments*

I too appreciate the Board's works and close collaboration

*On Inclusion of Human Rights in the Bylaws, the Board has the following
reactions to the points identified in the redline distributed after the
first reading before the CCWG.*

 *The Board notes the continued discussion of this issue on the
CCWG-Accountability list, and that there continues to be some divergence
among the CCWG-Accountability on how to proceed among the options
presented.  As noted in its comments to the Third Draft Report, the Board
remains committed to developing a Human Rights Statement for ICANN, and
will report to the community at ICANN 55 Marrakech on progress on this
work.  The Board appreciates the import of this issue to the ICANN
community, and remains committed to working alongside the community towards
a meaningful framework to guide human rights considerations within ICANN’s
mission.  *

Comments

Tks

*Regarding inclusion in the ICANN Bylaws, the Board supports Option B, or
allowing the WS2 effort on defining a framework to proceed prior to
considering whether to include a human rights obligation in the Bylaws**.*

 Comments

This is Under review by CCWG

*The Board appreciates the consideration the CCWG-Accountability has given
to the timing concerns raised by the Board in its comments.  Of note, the
Board’s concerns in introducing a human rights consideration in its Bylaws
today prior to the completion of a framework was not the only concern
raised.  The language presented by the CCWG-Accountability for the Bylaws
also raised concerns.  As stated in the Board’s comments:*

* Comments *

*It is a valid point and thus I support that position *

*While the Board appreciates that the proposed interim Bylaw text is
intended to not place any additional obligations on ICANN, the language
could actually be used to greatly expand ICANN’s human rights obligations.
Some specific examples of concern include:*

Comments

Yes it could expand ICANN’s human rights obligations, but not greatly

   - *Inclusion of a human rights commitment in the Bylaws would
   immediately allow for IRPs to be brought on human rights grounds.
   Similarly, there could be lawsuits relying on the Bylaws language filed
   against ICANN. When the Bylaws commitment is vaguely stated, any
   interpretation of the Bylaws language will be against ICANN, and have
   binding impact on the community’s ability to define a framework. Neither
   the IRP or the Courts will have any legal reason to wait for the community
   to complete the next step, and could make their own interpretations of the
   language.*
   - Comments
   - Concourred
   - *The proposed Bylaws text, with reference to “applicable law” to judge
   the acts of ICANN and those with relationships with ICANN, leaves open the
   question of which law should be applicable. This language expands, as
   opposed to limits, the potential scope of human rights challenges.*
   - *Comments*
   - *Law in force in the country that judgement is made *
   - *The language about “any entity having a relationship with ICANN “
   raises the suggestion that the ICANN Bylaws have the power to bind those
   with relationships with ICANN in how those entities respect, consider or
   enforce human rights.  ICANN does not have this power. For example,
   registries and registrars contracted with ICANN do not take on any human
   rights obligations because they contract with ICANN. This language suggests
   that because they have a relationship with ICANN, there are human rights
   concerns that they could be obligated to address.*
   -
   -
   - Comments
   - Concourred
   -
   - *The language suggests that there is already a framework within which
   ICANN processes complaints, requests or demands for ICANN to enforce human
   rights issues, which there is not. Indeed, there still appears to be
   divergence within the community about what should be considered as human
   rights considerations within ICANN’s Mission. Without a framework,
   challenges could be raised around issues that are not agreed to be within
   ICANN’s Mission, such as access, content or education.*
   - Comments
   - Concourred

*Leaving these types of issues open puts the community, ICANN stakeholders
such as contracted parties, and ICANN itself at risk.  Courts or binding
IRP panels could be used to create precedent defining what human rights are
within ICANN’s Mission. These determinations are better left for the ICANN
community to sort out, instead of being imposed. Leaving these questions
open for others outside of the ICANN community to define is not consistent
with enhancing ICANN’s accountability. The Board urges that the full scope
of defined work on human rights should include consideration of impacts
across all of ICANN’s activities.*

 Comments
- Almost concourred

As noted by ICANN’s legal counsel, the concern raised by the Board is not
primarily about an increase in the potential litigation across ICANN, but
rather about the *impact* of that litigation on the ICANN community, in the
potential to define ICANN’s human rights obligations before the community
has the opportunity to complete that work.  The proposed limitation of
applicable laws does not provide much comfort, as there are no limitations
of which laws will be suggested to be applicable to which parties.  This is
not a trivial concern.  Which court and which law will be relied upon to
decide if human rights includes a requirement to make all registrant data
public in an attempt to protect against abusive content on websites?  Or
which court and which law will be relied upon to require all registrant
data to be made private to recognize privacy interests or the potential
impact to third parties with which ICANN does business? It is examples such
as these that demonstrate why the ICANN community needs to weigh in on
where ICANN’s human rights obligations start and stop, before a court is
invited to make those determinations.

 Comment
- I Fully  Agree to that analysis

*Recommendation 7, Scope of IRP:*

 The Board previously expressed concerns about the IRP being used for
substantive appeals from process-specific expert panels, and notes the
apparent agreement on the CCWG-Accountability to remove the expert appeals
language from the scope of the IRP.  Even with this removal, the Board
notes that any violation of the ICANN Articles of Incorporation or Bylaws
that occurs in conjunction with the consideration of an expert panel can
appropriately be the basis of an IRP. The Board has the following
additional comments

*1.     **The IRP should not be used to determine what documents are to be
released as part of ICANN’s Documentary Information Disclosure Policy
(DIDP). If a DIDP response is in violation of ICANN’s Bylaws/AoI, then an
IRP can lie on the grounds of a Bylaws/AoI violation.  The Board notes that
a more substantive appeal process for the DIDP could be developed as part
of the DIDP review in WS2.  The development of a substantive DIDP appeal
process was not previously identified as a WS1 effort.*

   1.

   *The Board supports the CWG-Stewardship contingency that the IRP is made
   available as part of the accountability for the performance of the naming
   function work by PTI. The implementation of this must be done carefully so
   as to not confuse ICANN’s obligations with PTI’s obligations.*

   1.

   *The Board also supports the request from the IAB that the protocol
   parameters are excluded from the IRP. *

   1.

   *The Board notes that there should be a broad range of participants for
   the work of the IRP implementation team (including jurists and those versed
   in international arbitration). *

   1.

   *The Board discourages the use of exemptions to the already limited
   world of “loser pays” outcomes of IRPs, such as a proposed exemption for
   non-profit entities, as there should not be incentive for a certain group
   of complainants to more easily bring IRPs if they are not faced with the
   potential recourse for bringing IRPs on suspect grounds.*

   Comment

   This is being discussed

   *Recommendation 4, Scope of Community IRP:*

   *The Board reiterates its concerns regarding the inclusion of expert
   panel appeals and substantive DIDP appeals, as stated in regards to
   Recommendation 7. *

   *The Board appreciates the community discussion regarding a carve-out of
   the Community IRP as it relates to PDP outcomes.  The Board notes that,
   particularly with a threshold of 3 SOs or ACs, there other potential for
   the filing of a Community IRP to pit parts of the community against other
   parts of the community, such as countering the Board’s acceptance of advice
   from Advisory Committees.  The Board encourages the CCWG-Accountability to
   see if there are additional protections that can be introduced so that
   community resources are not used to challenge properly taken actions from
   another part of the community**.*

    This is being discussed
   2.

   Regards