[CCWG-ACCT] Deck for Meeting #75 Mission Statement discussion

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Tue Jan 19 13:54:12 UTC 2016

Isn't that what you want?

> What¹s the principle - freedom of contract?

You tell me what the principle is. It is your position. I am simply saying it is acceptable as long as it is truly a voluntary commitment
I think the whole business of enforcing commitments that would be outside of mission if it were not voluntary is problematic, but you say you love it. So you tell me what you think the principle is.

> But if GAC, ALAC, or someone else urges ICANN to pick one applicant over
> another, anyone can challenge that [what? The urging, the selection,
> something else?]?  You¹re disqualified if GAC endorses your application?

This is an uncharacteristically exaggerated and leading question. Really, Becky, we've got enough rhetorical pollution in this discourse you don't need to add to it.
Let's go through this step by step.

The "urging" obviously cannot be challenged unless it becomes the basis of a decision.
GAC shouldn't be endorsing individual applications AT ALL, as you should know, but if it does,  it is only a problem if its endorsement is based on the applicant's  adoption of commitments imposed on it by others, and the enforcement of which would exceed ICANN's mission.
The endorsement of GAC is clearly not a problem if any commitments don't exceed the mission and/or ICANN's board does not approve the application.

I hope that's clear now