[CCWG-ACCT] Report on Lawyers Call re Human Rights

Aarti Bhavana aarti.bhavana at nludelhi.ac.in
Fri Jan 22 10:44:46 UTC 2016

Hi Seun,

No, I was referring to the ICANN bylaws. There is no formal commitment to
respect HR in the ICANN bylaws, and given the HR implications of ICANN
policies, it's essential to at least have this explicit commitment.
As I mentioned previously, this commitment sets us up for further
discussion in WS2. While it would have been ideal to have the FOI as well
right now, the next best alternative is to at least have the commitment in
place while we work out the details of the FOI and how to bind ICANN to
specific instruments. As Kavouss said, these details are to be discussed in
WS2.
I'm not sure what exactly you meant by your point on corrupt politicians.
:) But I do support the need to put down a commitment on HR in WS1. And
with the redline language proposed, the risk of a premature IRP is also
eliminated.

Best,
Aarti

Aarti Bhavana | Research Fellow
Centre for Communication Governance | National Law University, Delhi |
Sector-14,
Dwarka, New Delhi - 110078 | Cell: (+91) 965-464-6846 | Fax: (+91)
11-280-34256 | www.ccgdelhi.org . www.ccgtlr.org <http://www.ccgdelhi.org/>