[CCWG-ACCT] Report on Lawyers Call re Human Rights

Tijani BEN JEMAA tijani.benjemaa at topnet.tn
Fri Jan 22 11:14:58 UTC 2016

I think that we are all in agreement that the commitment to respect human rights should be included in the ICANN bylaws together with the FoI by Work Stream 2. We are also all in agreement that a recommendation to include those commitments and FoI in the ICANN bylaws should be part of the Work Stream 1 final proposal. The issue is: should it be an interim bylaw in which the commitments are included without the frame of interpretation before the transition.

What is the use of the interim bylaw if the FoI is not there yet? How can we avoid the risk to have those commitments applied to the content which is not in the remit of ICANN?
We are speaking about a period of a few months between the transition and the completion of the work stream 2 work.

If it is so dangerous to stay for this short period without the commitments in the bylaws, why we don’t create another interim bylaw that include the accountability mechanisms for the community that we said we will address them in WS 2? We are about to transfer a part of the powers from the ICANN board to the community, so the accountability mechanisms for the community are too important, and yet, we accepted to stay this short period without them in the ICANN bylaws.

I’m not a lawyer, and can’t say if the language proposed by Holly and Rosemary (in red) would really make the interim bylaw dormant till the FoI is developed. If it does, I will support it even if I find it useless to create an interim bylaw that will absolutely stay dormant.

Tijani BEN JEMAA
Executive Director
Phone: +216 98 330 114
            +216 52 385 114