[CCWG-ACCT] Report on Lawyers Call re Human Rights

McAuley, David dmcauley at verisign.com
Fri Jan 22 17:55:44 UTC 2016

Hi Avri,

While appreciating your typically well-considered point of view, I disagree with part of what you said.

I personally think the concern expressed by the board over HR is well-founded and so take respectful issue with some of those comment below.

You said:

"I do not presume to understand this ICANN aversion to freedom of speech and an open Internet with free flow of information, I can just be sure that nobody fights such a simple statement without some intent."

Two concerns: First, ICANN hasn't been averse to an open Internet with free-flowing information insofar as I have seen. And we have no reason to fear that, IMO. In fact CCWG intends to clarify this as stated in the third draft proposal at paragraph 214 (in a Fundamental Bylaw, no less):

"Clarify that ICANN's Mission is limited to coordinating the development and implementation of policies that are designed to ensure the stable and secure operation of the Domain Name System and are reasonably necessary to facilitate its openness, interoperability, resilience, and/or stability."

An open Internet is open to free expression - and that is ICANN's role.

Second, as to ". nobody fights such a simple statement ."

Freedom of speech is a simple statement but not a simple concept. As just one example, over the past few days I have been reading a debate on the IRTF list about whether or not a DDoS attack might in some circumstances be an expression of free speech. It seems absurd and the debate seems largely settling on that conclusion but debate is nonetheless made - how could we even risk such an argument to come before IRP?

That's why some of us want "applicable law" to be explicit as it invokes a body of law developed by courts and countries (not just in US) who are better equipped to grapple with these concepts. I think we can all envision the classic argument over where one's right of free expression ends vis-à-vis someone else's right to privacy - it could get complicated. Why should we risk embroiling ICANN in these disputes in an IRP - the panel is not designed for that, IMO, not to mention that absent a statement about "applicable law" we would be asking IRP panelists to develop new law, as they deem fit, applicable only to ICANN.

You also said:

"And without a bylaw, there will be no discussion of human rights impact on the work we do.  It would be out of scope."

I just don't see it - there will be a fundamental bylaw as noted above and we will get to an HR FOI in WS2.

David McAuley