[CCWG-ACCT] ICANN Board comments - Recommendation 3 - Fundamental Bylaws

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Sun Jan 24 15:14:41 UTC 2016

I agree with the result the Board came to (at least in part), but not the
reasoning.  Each SO or AC should have the right to inspect.  However, the
role of the Designator is not merely to "add or remove Board members." The
Designator plays a critical role in the exercise of several of the powers,
in addition to its role in enforcing those powers via director removal.
The Designator is an integral part of the Empowered Community.  We accepted
the diminution of  power and leverage that came with the shift from Single
Member to Single Designator.  We should not further diminish the role of
the Single Designator by reducing it to its statutorily-defined designator
powers.

(Technically, the designator should have inspection powers as well, to the
extent that such inspection may be useful as the community seeks to
exercise its powers through the Designator.  As a practical matter, this
can be solved by having any of the SOs or ACs exercise the inspection
right, so we're covered that way.)

Greg