[CCWG-ACCT] Regarding mission statement and human rights

Tropina, Tatiana t.tropina at mpicc.de
Thu Jan 28 09:51:06 UTC 2016

Dear all,

I believe that the commitment of the board to support human rights principles is indeed a great constructive move that can be wholeheartedly welcome.
However, if it is going to be done to divert the discussion from the main question, namely: what are the risks that the board sees if the bylaw text suggested on the last call (dormant bylaw) will be adopted? - I don't think it can be considered as a proper way forward.
It has been discussed many times that commitment to human rights is a community exercise, I doubt that the top down commitment can replace the proper bylaw.
Moreover, I am not sure that a resolution to respect human rights adopted in urgency to avoid the bylaw is a good substitute for the approach CCWG suggested after many hours of discussions and many attempts to find a solution that will address everyone's concern.
If the board's resolution is what we are getting as an alternative to the bylaw, I am not certain it can be considered as a compromise.
I am ready for constructive discussions, but when top-down approach replaces the community exercise I rather become cautious and concerned.

Best regards,
Tatiana