[CCWG-ACCT] Regarding mission statement and human rights

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu Jan 28 15:33:59 UTC 2016

On 28-Jan-16 09:25, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 02:05:26PM +0000, Nigel Roberts wrote:
>> ICANN must simply respect human rights. That's it.
> I wish I knew what this is supposed to mean for ICANN action, though.
> I'm trying to imagine something where ICANN would act differently in
> the presence or absence of the bylaw, and I've been unable to come up
> with anything.

As I have mentioned before, for me the prime issue is that human rights
impact analysis be done as part of the PDP process as opposed to just
waiting to see if some government agency slaps our wrist afterwards for
not having considered the impact of, e.g., freedom of expression or an
open internet.  At this point we just do stuff and then wait to see if
NTIA, or any other federal agency, or the GAC lets us know that we have
messed up.  Requiring that we respect Human Rights includes it being in
scope as a consideration that is understood and discussed when policy is
made and considered for approval.

Without the bylaw such considerations remain out of scope in a future
where there is no backstop for our actions.   i believe that taking on
this responsibility is our only reliable response to the NTIA
requirement.  And I believe that the fears of such a bylaw have been
shown to be emotional and not fact based.

>  (That's also, I suppose, why I don't really have an
> opinion about what ought to be done here, except that we should come
> to a speedy conclusion so that the document can ship and we can get
> the transition over with.)

I see this as a gating issue.

Though I do not think our work can ever be called speedy, even if we
were to reach consensus this week.
And this is just the start of the transition, unless you also believe
that implementation and  WS2 are not part of the transition.

avri

---