[CCWG-ACCT] FW: gTLD Auctions vs Travel Costs

Phil Buckingham phil at dotadvice.co.uk
Thu Jan 28 20:52:20 UTC 2016

Thanks Grace, Marika,

CCWG members  - note the following . Is this now adequately covered in the
Mission statement and  Core Values ?

Following the .shop auction today , netting ICANN $41.5 M,   a separate,
ring fenced account  now has over $100M in it.

Regards,

Phil

Discussion Paper on new gTLD Auction Proceeds

-

Updated

7 December

2015

Author: ICANN Staff

Page

4

of

45

2

Background

2.1

New gTLD Program

"

The purpose of an auction is to resolve contention in a clear, objective
manner. It is planned that

costs of the new gTLD program will offset by fees, so any funds coming from
a last resort contention

resolution mechanism such as auctions would result (after paying for the
auction process) in

additional funding. Any proceeds from auctions will be reserved and
earmarked until the uses of

funds are determined. Funds must be used in a manner that supports

directly ICANN's Mission and

Core Values and also allows ICANN to maintain its not for profit status.

Possible uses of auction funds include formation of a foundation with a
clear mission and a

transparent way to allocate funds to projects that are of in

terest to the greater Internet community,

such as grants to support new gTLD applications or registry operators from
communities in

subsequent gTLD rounds, the creation of an ICANN

-

administered/community

-

based fund for specific

projects for the benefit of

the Internet community, the creation of a registry continuity fund for the

protection of registrants (ensuring that funds would be in place to support
the operation of a gTLD

registry until a successor could be found), or establishment of a security
fund t

o expand use of secure

protocols, conduct research, and support standards development organizations
in accordance with

ICANN's security and stability mission

."

New gTLD Applicant Guidebook