[CCWG-ACCT] Regarding mission statement and human rights

Eric (Maule) Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Fri Jan 29 19:04:43 UTC 2016

Avri, Bruce, Colleagues,

Avri wrote that respect for Human Rights requires its [Human Rights]
being in scope during policy development.

Bruce replied that this is sensible, and in his view, already in scope,
and cite the NCSG's history of advocacy for freedom of expression or an
open internet, and the persuasion of the GNSO on these issues.

I'm joining in Bruce's observation that the GNSO has been persuaded in
the past (one may insert one or more rationals here), and independent
of the NCSG's advocacy for freedom of expression or an open internet,
the GNSO's PDP has resulted in, or not greatly encumbered, allocations
of namespaces to applicants for linguistic and cultural, municipal, and
regional registries.

However, Bruce expresses a little puzzlement "how the existence of a
bylaw helps or hinders the ability for a stakeholder group, supporting
organization, or advisory committee to raise the topic as part of the
consideration of policy within a PDP." While there have been some small
efforts to involve two ACs I'm familiar with, one by prior participation,
one by observation, in GNSO policy development, the usual reading of the
Bylaws leave these two ACs, and others, both ACs and SOs, reacting to
policy proposals late in the policy development process.

However, fixing that, assuming it needs fixing, isn't quite what we have
been asked to do -- improve accountability, etc.

Eric Brunner-Williams
Eugene, Oregon