[CCWG-ACCT] Expanding the GAC-oriented review in the AoC Accountability & Transparency Review

Greg Shatan gregshatanipc at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 20:07:11 UTC 2016

Stress Test 18 reflects the status quo, and a concern about the effect of
changes to the status quo.  The proposed bylaw change responsive to Stress
Test 18 would maintain the status quo (as it applies to the Board's
consideration of GAC advice with the obligation to find a mutually
acceptable solution where an inconsistent action is proposed).  Making no
change to the Bylaw leaves open the possibility that the status quo will
change.

Right now, the GAC delivers advice decided on the basis of strong support
and the lack of a formal objection, and if the Board decides to take an
action inconsistent with that advice and formally approves that action (by
majority vote), then the Board and GAC must try to come to a mutually
acceptable resolution.  That's the status quo.  And I suspect that Bylaw
changes to maintain that status quo would get strong support from a broad
group of stakeholders.