[CCWG-ACCT] Recommendation 11, 2/3 board threshold, GAC consensus, and finishing

Mueller, Milton L milton at gatech.edu
Fri Jan 29 20:59:45 UTC 2016

Great idea. Worth considering

Start from the premise that ICANN may implement GAC Advice only consistent with the Bylaws, including the Mission.  What if we accept the 2/3rd rejection language but also provide that the GAC cannot act in a decision-making role with respect to an exercise of community power designed to challenge the Board's implementation of GAC Advice.  In other words, the GAC  would not be counted in the "no more than two SO/ACs objecting" threshold to a community IRP challenge to the Board's implementation of GAC Advice alleged to exceed the scope of ICANN's Mission.

I think this addresses the two bites at the apple problem we might otherwise have, and provides a safety valve to counter balance the 2/3rds rejection threshold.

Just a thought -
J. Beckwith Burr
Neustar, Inc. / Deputy General Counsel & Chief Privacy Officer
1775 Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington D.C. 20006
Office: +1.202.533.2932  Mobile: +1.202.352.6367 / neustar.biz<http://www.neustar.biz>