[CCWG-ACCT] Recommendation 11, 2/3 board threshold, GAC consensus, and finishing

Paul Rosenzweig paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com
Fri Jan 29 23:02:08 UTC 2016

I cannot speak for the gNSO, nor even Non-Commercial side of the house of
which I am a member.  But for myself, going in to yesterday I had three
significant concerns about the role of the GAC.  They were the
super-majority (2/3rd) + mandatory consultation requirements of
Recommendation 11; the GAC exclusions from review under Rec 10 and the role
of the GAC as a participant in the EC under Rec 1 (and, as to this last,
most notably the high likelihood that the GACs role in the EC would
procedurally make it difficult, if not impossible, for the community to take
action against the Board regarding GAC advice that the Board was obliged to
accept).  The stress test scenario was GAC advice that was adopted by the
Board with a 1/3rd +1 support in which the GAC frustrated EC response.

Steve DelBianco's suggestiong about folding the review of GAC interaction
with the community and its accountability into an enhanced ATRT probably
takes care of much (not all, but much) of my concern about Rec 10.

Becky's proposal that the GAC not be allowed to negate EC action as to its
own advice is a good way of addressing the problem with respect to Rec 1.  I
would broaden it, so that the exclusion applied to all EC action in respect
of GAC advice, not just the community IRP, but so broadened, it would answer
the very real concerns that Keith has outlined.

That would leave me dissatisfied as to the 2/3rd threshold itself ... but in
the spirit of compromise, I could live with my dissatisfaction.

Which leaves me in the position of basically agreeing with Andrew ....
Paul

Paul Rosenzweig
paul.rosenzweig at redbranchconsulting.com
O: +1 (202) 547-0660