[CCWG-ACCT] CCWG-Accountability - Draft Comment for Public Consultation on Articles of Incorporation (AOC)

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Wed Jul 13 14:13:44 UTC 2016

On Jul 13, 2016, at 8:46 AM, avri doria <avri at apc.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think I disagree.  I think the understanding of ICANN's position on
> the global interest always depends on the bottom-up multistakeholder
> understanding of that public interest within the confines of its
> mission.  I think that we can define a framework that helps us discover
> the public interest within the context of a particular issue and the
> mission.  A set of principles, beyond those at the highest level, seem
> to be a holy grail that we can search for but that will continue to
> elude us.

Avri -

    I believe I agree with you as well.   To elaborate, I believe that the
    proper functioning of the Internet is in the global public interest, and
    (re-scoping specifically to ICANN’s mission) I believe that the stable
    and secure operation of the Internet’s unique identifier systems is
    similarly in the global public interest.   I am not adverse to a set of
    high-level principles which outline what constitutes the "stable and
    secure operation of the Internet’s unique identifier systems”, but the
    determination of the various tradeoffs required in the application of
    such principles to any specific issue should properly occur in the
    multistakeholder policy development process.

/John

Disclaimer: my views alone - caveat emptor