[CCWG-ACCT] Proposed Agenda CCWG ACCT Meeting - 12 July 2016 @ 20:00 UTC

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Fri Jul 15 18:14:28 UTC 2016

Hello,

By default means always considering use of ICANN legal staff first before
going independent. I don't think this should require a dialout as I think
we all agree that CCWG should have access to independent legal whenever
required.

Regards
Sent from my LG G4
Kindly excuse brevity and typos

On 15 Jul 2016 19:00, "farzaneh badii" <farzaneh.badii at gmail.com> wrote:

> No. Using the independent legal advisers *responsibly* does not mean that
> we have to have a default approach.
>
> I wonder what the next steps would be on this issue. Perhaps co-chairs can
> help us on this ? Are we going to have a call and discuss this and come up
> with a solution?
>
> On 15 July 2016 at 19:46, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> +1 on ensuring access to independent legal adviser whenever required by
>> CCWG. This would imply referring to internal legal(staff) by default and
>> then call for independent legal advice whenever the group sense there is
>> need for clarification (or when the issues at hand is warranted).
>>
>> Regards
>> Sent from my LG G4
>> Kindly excuse brevity and typos
>>
>> On 15 Jul 2016 13:19, "James M. Bladel" <jbladel at godaddy.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Agree with Keith.
>>>
>>> CCWG must preserve the use of independent legal advisors, but use this
>>> responsibly, and with an eye on controlling costs.  Ultimately, it is gTLD
>>> registrants picking up the bill, and we need to ensure that this work is
>>> mindful of their interests.
>>>
>>> Thanks—
>>>
>>> J.
>>>
>>> From: <accountability-cross-community-bounces at icann.org> on behalf of
>>> Keith Drazek <kdrazek at verisign.com>
>>> Date: Thursday, July 14, 2016 at 16:53
>>> To: Phil Corwin <psc at vlaw-dc.com>, Matthew Shears <mshears at cdt.org>,
>>> Greg Shatan <gregshatanipc at gmail.com>, Robin Gross <robin at ipjustice.org>
>>> Cc: Accountability Cross Community <
>>> accountability-cross-community at icann.org>
>>> Subject: Re: [CCWG-ACCT] Proposed Agenda CCWG ACCT Meeting - 12 July
>>> 2016 @ 20:00 UTC
>>>
>>> Agreed. Access to independent legal advice was never in question.
>>>

>>> That said, in the interest of controlling costs, I have no problem
>>> seeking input from ICANN’s internal lawyers on issues that are deemed
>>> non-contentious or where potential conflicts do not exist.
>>>

>>> I am obligated to report that the Registries Stakeholder Group is very,
>>> very concerned about the cost of legal fees from WS1 and wants to ensure
>>> the CCWG is efficient with its future spending. I know we’re developing
>>> cost-control mechanisms for WS2, and I’ve advised my SG accordingly, but
>>> this will continue to receive attention from the RySG.
>>>

>>> Holly’s question and the response about budgeting vis-à-vis ICANN’s
>>> outside counsel was instructive. Any and all outside counsel expenses will
>>> require certification.
>>>

>>> So, let me reiterate my view…the CCWG must have access to independent
>>> legal advice. We must ensure costs are controlled and resources are used
>>> efficiently. If that means selectively turning to ICANN’s lawyers on
>>> occasion, I can and do support that, but not at the expense of our ability
> [...]
>>> 202-559-8750/Fax