[CCWG-ACCT] [community-finance] IANA Stewardship Transition - Project Expenses - FY16 Q3 update

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 20 21:27:19 UTC 2016

I'd like to stick to the topic we are discussing which is disclosure about 'advisors', and lobbyists, and not venture until the gTLDs contracts.  I fear that would become a bog that is too unbounded, with some questioning the marketing plans of different gTLDs, like give aways, etc.
So, I ask that as this is the CCWG-ACCT, and the topic is about the amounts paid for consultants specifically working on the IANA transition  -- and who they are -- and that they have only ICANN as a client, not also members of ICANN's community on directly related subjects -- we stick to that discussion.
All law firms in the US 'clear' conflicts before accepting a new client, and all corporations 'clear' their consultants. While this may be confidential in both these cases, I do agree that a public interest NGO, which is what ICANN is, can best serve itself, and the interest of the broader ICANN community by as much transparency as possible. BUT let's keep it high level and civil in our request for facts and figures.
As I like to say: Facts are our friends.
Of course, some issues have to be kept confidential.
Who the consultants are has been published, what they were  paid would add to the transparency.  What they do, at a high level, should be published as well. I will say again that I think that the work is probably much needed. I spend a lot of time -- without being paid -- explaining ICANN as I do my other IG work and it is is a worthwhile task and an important one if we are to demystify ICANN to RoW [Rest of World].
I am sure it is all above board, but it has now taken on a sort of taint of 'why not tell'.
Let's keep this high level and not make it a hunt for the details, but just get the high level facts, and make that a standard.
Will help us all.