[CCWG-ACCT] [community-finance] IANA Stewardship Transition - Project Expenses - FY16 Q3 update

Marilyn Cade marilynscade at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 20 22:07:36 UTC 2016

Ken, Loriright.
but we are not asking for that kind of reporting. We are asking for something more factual and more about informing the community of ICANN, not just the IRS.
:-)
I think we want a bit more and a general sort of 'rule' of openness. So, if you accept a contract with ICANN, expect it to be known, just as the contracts to do a Review are, and state what you do for ICANN.
I respect ICANN having consultants, and hiring people to do awareness and engagement to explain the IANA transition, or fund travel for the Chairs of the CCWG, etc. to provide awareness, this is within, in my view, the role of the organization in fulfilling its mission.
So, I may be more flexible than some.
After all, I spend most of my business life trying to explain IG in developing countries, and trying to find funders to allow me to do that. :-) ICANN is not a client but in my view, as I do broader IG work, creating understanding about what ICANN does and does not do is real work. It is important and if we, the community, are not aware of its importance, then we misunderstand how we need to support ICANN, broadly, as awareness....
We are very fortunate to have this opportunity, as this will build the support needed for ICANN to be more internationalized.
I suspect we are all on the same page - mostly -- and thus, I hope we will ask for the facts and figures, and then focus on what is needed to continue to build support for the transition in the US, and well beyond.