[CCWG-ACCT] Timeline for WS1 Bylaws

Matthew Shears mshears at cdt.org
Wed Mar 9 18:05:06 UTC 2016

Thanks Mathieu

Just a thought on the process.  Is there any merit in doing this on a
rolling basis, recommendation by recommendation - in others words the
lawyers work on the bylaws sequentially, red-lining them, passing them
through the Co-chairs and rapporteurs, and then forwarding to the CCWG
to review.  Perhaps it maybe what you are outlining below, but I think
it would be easier for the CCWG to review the redlined versions bylaw by
bylaw - on a rolling basis - rather then as a package.  And then a final
opportunity to review the whole to make sure that it sits well together
and that any linkages between the recommendations are not lost, etc.

Matthew

On 3/9/2016 5:38 PM, Mathieu Weill wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> This is a brief update on the next steps for our work on drafting
> bylaws to implement the CCWG report. The timeline is tight. Read on to
> see why.
>
> At our meeting on Friday we discussed the iterative approach for
> bylaws drafting, with the co-chairs and rapporteurs forming a first
> line triage team to check consistency between the draft Bylaws and the
> CCWG Final Report. Then the documents will be public for CCWG scrutiny
> and comment before being updated.
>
> We didn’t have a view about timing on Friday other than that it would
> have to be soon. Now we have some more information on that.
>
> We co-chairs were joined by rapporteurs at a dinner on Monday night
> which included CWG reps, Board members and ICANN staff. The purpose
> was to make sure the implementation process is well coordinated
> between the groups in the coming weeks.
>
> Larry Strickling was at the dinner, and he set out his thoughts about
> timeframes. An important piece of information from him was that the
> N.T.I.A. won’t complete its review and assessment of the proposal
> until the bylaws that implement them are in place (with commencement
> happening post-transition).
>
> NTIA has said publicly that it plans to complete its report within
> about 90 days of receiving the Stewardship and Accountability
> proposals on 10 March, presuming that the Chartering Organisations
> approve our proposal. That is because they wish to give the U.S.
> Congress a suitable period of time to consider their report before the
> Congress goes into recess for the summer on 15 July.
>
> Taking these two points together, it means we need to fit the
> following steps and *rough* dates together:
>
> Friday 8 April:     CCWG finishes draft bylaws
>
> then            Board approves draft bylaws for public comment
>
> Friday 15 April:    Open Public Comment for bylaws
>
> Sunday 15 May:     Close Public Comment for bylaws
>
> then            Follow up changes to draft Bylaws based on public comments
>
>                    and
>
>                    CCWG sign off of final draft bylaws
>
> Tuesday 31 May:    Board approves draft bylaws
>
> In our view, this timeframe is tight but manageable.
>
> We are in discussion with our external Counsel about how to progress
> the draft Bylaws over the next couple of weeks. They have some ideas
> that include intensive discussions with ICANN legal, who know the
> bylaws well, and will be working on the quick production of a first
> draft set of bylaws.
>
> The Implementation Oversight Team will do a very rapid turnaround on
> the draft, and get it out to you asap, along with a note from our
> lawyers to confirm compliance with our report.  Our intention is that
> there is at least four days and preferably a week for review and
> comments for CCWG members and participants. Then the draft bylaws
>  will be finalised taking those comments into account, and given to
> [...]

Matthew Shears | Director, Global Internet Policy & Human Rights Project
Center for Democracy & Technology | cdt.org
E: mshears at cdt.org | T: +44.771.247.2987

CDT's Annual Dinner, Tech Prom, is April 6, 2016. Don't miss out - register at cdt.org/annual-dinner.

---