[CCWG-ACCT] Lawyers' Comments on CCWG Comments on Draft New ICANN Bylaws

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Sun May 8 14:11:11 UTC 2016

Hi,

I do not understand the reasons for the proposed additions to comment
2.  In particular, the changes to 2.3 appear to miss the point of the
WG's remarks.

That some as-yet unwritten document will exist in the future is
completely irrelevant to whether it ought to be protected from
challenge under the Mission.  It wouldn'r even matter if that document
were only to say "A=A" (or some other necessary truth).  The document
is being protected from challenge under the Mission, and (1) nobody
knows _now_ what it will say in the future and (2) it shouldn't even
possibly be inconsistent with the Mission.  If it's not inconsistent
with the Mission, it can't be challenged effectively.  If it _is_
inconsistent with the Mission, it _ought_ to be subject to such a
challenge anyway.

Moreover, asking "the groups most directly involved" for their opinion
is not the right thing to do.  These grandfathering clauses were not
in the ICG report, and were not in the CCWG-Accountability report.
There is no basis in any request by anyone for the grandfathering in
subsections (B) through (E).  The lawyers were supposed to implement
the reports, not come up with things that people might want and
implement those things.  These clauses should be deleted, _point
finale_, full stop, period.  There is no basis for them in the
reports, so they're not allowed.  This isn't an obscure point, and the
previous justifications offered by the lawyers do not address it.

Best regards,