[CCWG-ACCT] latest letter from Cruz et al FYI

Dr Eberhard W Lisse el at lisse.na
Sun May 22 10:36:28 UTC 2016

I think we can we can discuss it here, even if it is unrelated to transition.

I firmly believe that the root (zone) is (intangible) property. If it is, it most certainly is intellectual property.

So, if it is property, it takes an act/vote of Congress to "dispose" of.

The USG can not ascertain Copyright on (any) intellectual property.  I am not sure if it could register a trademark, but for the root it would probably more more difficult than for .NA(R).

But, if it is intellectual property you can get to it under the Freedom of Information Act.

And before anyone hyperventilates, there is precedent for that, even: The Veterans Administration developed many years ago a hospital/practice administration software (using MUMPS as the language). For many years one has been able to obtain copies by way of an FoIA request.

Makes sense as well, it is not classified information.

el

--
Sent from Dr Lisse's iPad mini 4