[CCWG-ACCT] New ICANN Bylaws

Bruce Tonkin Bruce.Tonkin at melbourneit.com.au
Sun May 29 06:09:01 UTC 2016

Hello Alan,

>>  Given the time line we have been on, it would have made absolutely no sense to devote time to creating a set of Bylaws presuming the transition, and a separate set presuming no transition.

Yes - that is essentially the discussion we had - whether to create different versions with different start dates etc.   It was thought best to have a fully complete set of bylaws for the scenario that we have all been working towards.

>>   presume that if the transition does fail, we will revisit these Bylaws, extract the parts that no longer apply, and move ahead with the accountability measures.

That is correct.    There are a range of scenarios including - renewing the current NTIA agreement, creating a new agreement with different terms, and allowing the transition to occur.        We are awaiting the report from NTIA as the next key piece of information.

Any changes to the new bylaws that  take into account any feedback we all receive from the US Government will go through the full community review process.

Our next step is begin work on the implementation of the new bylaws, as assuming we get a positive report from the NTIA  in the next month or two, the NTIA will still need to see that the bylaws are ready for implementation by around August.   This involves setting up the various entities  - e.g the Empowered Community nonprofit association, the IRP standing panel, the detailed rules and procedures for the new IRP, the customer standing committee, etc.   There is a lot of work still to be done in the next 3 months or so to get ready for full implementation of these bylaws.

In the meantime we should follow as much of the new procedures as possible.   E.g. when the ICANN Board approves the budget it should notify the SOs and ACs, and they can certainly get together and inform the Board if they feel the budget  should be rejected.

Regards,
Bruce Tonkin