[CCWG-ACCT] IANA Transition update and next steps

Mathieu Weill mathieu.weill at afnic.fr
Tue Oct 4 05:16:43 UTC 2016

Dear colleagues,

The Iana contract has expired. ICANN's new bylaws, implementing our WS1
Recommendations, are now in place. This is a major milestone for the
multistakeholder model, where communities are in charge, and where
accountability is shared amongst all stakeholders.

The events of the last few weeks have provided an excellent reminder, if
we had ever needed some, of why this transition was required : we had all
agreed that the Internet needs to be protected from partisan politics,
post-truth rhetoric and interference from judiciary obstructions. In a
way, we can thank those who have, almost to the point of risking
exhaustion, tried everything they could to stop the transition. Their
efforts have demonstrated the solidity of our principles.

The transition is also the beginning of a new phase. It is now incumbent
upon all of us to live up to the shared accountability model. Our work
stream 2 efforts are under way, and we have to demonstrate that we can
still deliver improvements to ICANN's accountability, as part of the
continuous improvement journey.

Let's celebrate, because this has been a tremendous group effort ! As of
now, we are writing a new chapter of ICANN's history, let's make it a
story of commitment, collaboration and respect for each other ! And what
better way to start than to double down on implementing the post
transition model we have agreed on, and delivering concrete proposals for
WS2 ?

Thank you all for being part of this group, we look forward to continuing
the great work !

Leon, Thomas & Mathieu

Co-chairs