[CCWG-ACCT] IANA Transition update and next steps

Andrew Sullivan ajs at anvilwalrusden.com
Tue Oct 4 19:34:42 UTC 2016

Dear colleagues,

On Tue, Oct 04, 2016 at 07:16:43AM +0200, Mathieu Weill wrote:

> The Iana contract has expired. ICANN's new bylaws, implementing our WS1
> Recommendations, are now in place. This is a major milestone for the
> multistakeholder model, where communities are in charge, and where
> accountability is shared amongst all stakeholders.

I trust that I am not too late in echoing the sentiments of others in
expressing my deepest thanks and admiration for both the chairs and
the many participants who made it possible to bring the transition to
a successful conclusion.  I do not think it can be overstated how
important the accountability measures forged by this working group
were in ensuring the transition went ahead.

We should be extremely proud of what we have forged together, using
our common interest in the continued growth, health, and function of
the Internet as a rallying point.  I won't go on (as I do too often)
about the strengths of our community-based model.  But I think we can
draw a lot of inspiration from this event (or, as it happens, non-event!).

It is at the same time true that the model of multiple stakeholders
means that different people will engage on different topics, and that
there are many different ways to be involved in community decisions.
And that leads me to another observation.

> The transition is also the beginning of a new phase. It is now incumbent
> upon all of us to live up to the shared accountability model. Our work
> stream 2 efforts are under way, and we have to demonstrate that we can
> still deliver improvements to ICANN's accountability, as part of the
> continuous improvement journey.

I have noted how distracted from the WS2 efforts I have been, and
while I continue to believe that WS2 efforts are important I am also
aware that I have only limited attention to give to everything that
happens.  Having reflected since Saturday on the other challenges
facing the Internet, I have concluded that this current one is not the
effort where I can make the greatest contribution.

Therefore, I've decided to step back from the work of this CCWG, and
will observe from a greater distance.  I'm going to unsubscribe from
the list and ensure that I'm no longer listed as an observer.  I thank
everyone participating for their diligent efforts and continued close
attention to the evolution of ICANN's accountability, and I look
forward to reading (and, if appropriate, commenting on) the outcome of
this phase of the WG's work.

My best regards as your friend and colleague,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com