[CCWG-ACCT] Answers to some common questions being encountered by the ICANN staff

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Tue Sep 13 01:47:53 UTC 2016

On Sep 12, 2016, at 12:24 AM, avri doria <avri at acm.org> wrote:

> On 10-Sep-16 09:53, Sam Lanfranco wrote:
>> At that point evidence and logic will hold little sway against media
>> "sound bites"  that may well be completely false
>
> so why aren't we putting out helpful but truthful soundbites?

Avri -

With respect to the current IANA transition stewardship activities, we will
soon be entering the phase of diminishing media & public influence over
the outcome as the US Congress appropriation folks and party leaders
must come to a Continuing Resolution agreement rather quickly if it is to be
passed in time to avoid a USG shutdown on 1 October 2016.  (I do agree
with the generic need for ongoing & consistent media/public/governmental
education about our community and its activities, but with respect to this
particular matter at hand, as it is now in the hands a very small number of
IS congressmen as to whether NTIA will be allowed to continue with the
IANA contract transition or if a specific prohibition on transition is added -
thus requiring an extension to the IANA contract.

There is some clear and highly targeted messaging underway, at the level
appropriate to the audience – one example is this letter of support from a
number of Internet related organizations in the US (thanks to Christian
atI2C for arranging such!)  -  <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20160912_tech_heavyweights_to_congress_transition_has_our_support/ <http://www.circleid.com/posts/20160912_tech_heavyweights_to_congress_transition_has_our_support/>>

Note that overall we are in a very challenging period where most of the parties
involved (both in favor and opposed to the IANA Stewardship transition) have
much more immediate priorities when it comes to the overall USG appropriation
negotiation underway, particularly given the upcoming US Presidential election.
(this task would have been orders of magnitude less risky if done last year.)

/John

p.s. My views alone.