[CCWG-ACCT] Answers to some common questions being encountered by the ICANN staff

Phil Corwin psc at vlaw-dc.com
Fri Sep 23 17:24:03 UTC 2016

The CR filed yesterday does not embody a compromise between the Senate majority and minority. It has quickly become clear that it cannot obtain the 60 votes required for getting to a vote on final passage, and is in fact designed to force Democrats back into negotiations prior to a procedural vote scheduled on the bill next Tuesday (the USG runs out of $ at midnight next Friday if a CR is not enacted by then).

More horse-trading will occur in those negotiations and it is quite possible that the IANA transition delay will come back into play as a trade for an item wanted by the Democrats; press reports earlier this week indicated that a number of Senate Ds would accept a delay in exchange for gaining additional funding flexibility for the Export-Import Bank. Also significant is that, in addition to Donald Trump’s announcement on Wednesday that he favors a delay, both Republican members of the FCC also announced the same position this past week – and the Chairmen of the Senate and House Judiciary Committees just sent a letter to the Department of Justice asking multiple legal questions related to the transition, and requesting a response by next Tuesday (the same day as the initial Senate vote).

So IANA remains in play and nothing is final until the same bill is passed by both the Senate and House and signed by the President.

Philip S. Corwin, Founding Principal
Virtualaw LLC
1155 F Street, NW
Suite 1050