[CCWG-ACCT] Notes, recordings and transcript for WS2 Ombudsman Subgroup Meeting #15 | 23 January 2017

MSSI Secretariat mssi-secretariat at icann.org
Mon Jan 23 20:46:19 UTC 2017

Hello all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for CCWG Accountability WS2_ CCWG Ombudsman Subgroup, Meeting #15 - 23 January 2017 will be available here:  https://community.icann.org/x/M5zDAw

A copy of the notes may be found below.

Kind Regards,
Yvette Guigneaux
Multi-Stakeholder & Strategic Initiative Asst.
ICANN
Email:  yvette.guigneaux at icann.org<mailto:yvette.guigneaux at icann.org>
Cell:  +1-310-460-8432
Skype:  yvette.guigneaux.icann

12025 Waterfront Drive, Suite 300
Playa Vista, CA 90094

________________________________
Notes
(including relevant portions of the chat):
11 participants at start of call.
Roll Call / Apologies - Welcome
External review of the ICANN Ombuds Office
Lars Hoffmann: So far 7 parties have shown initial interest but no one have completed a response yet. We would expect responses at the end of this week or early next week. If there are less than 3 responses we would extend the deadline to ensure we meet this minimum requirement. If there is an extension I will advise the group early next week.
Sebastien Bachollet: Of those parties that have shown interest is there diversity?
Lars Hoffmann: I do not have that information at this point.
Action Items
AI#1 from Call IOO-DT #14
Tasks to be handle in // with review
avri doria: In Staff Acct Document B there is a specifc questions about the role of the Ombuds vis a vis staff. <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UnkJuukv0px-CfIDgLrjdDZa2CpBvSahPvAXdYYTeHk/edit?usp=sharing?> contributions from those in this group solicited and welcome. Document is open for comments and suggested text.
avri doria: no need to be in Staff Acct group to comment or suggest text.
Avri Doria: Presentation of Staff Acct. work. One of those questions is what is the role of the Obuds office vs staff. It would be good for SB to come to a meeting of our sub-group.
Klaus Stoll: We should present our final drafts which relates to the Ombudsman to this group.
Avri Doria: Agree.
Herb Waye: will be discussing with ICANN Legal next week if the Ombudsman can be involved in the removal of a Director process (Good Faith sub-group).
Sebastien Bachollet: Any items we need to focus on while the review is ongoing? Please advise on the list.
Farzaneh Badii: I just wanted to say we have just started talking about litigation
Farzaneh Badii: I will update you as soon as something related to ombuds come up
AI#2 from Call IOO-DT #14
Transparency & Ombudsmen Groups
Sebastien Bachollet: Agreement with MK regarding the Transparency recommendations (Ombudsman and Compalints Officer). If it goes to the complaints officer means people can still go to the Ombudsman if there is an issue. Our group needs to decide if this position is accetable for our group.
Herb Waye: Re Frivolous or Vexaious DIDP requests - would be a problem if the Obudman was involved in making a decision to accept a request and then later the Ombudsman could be requested to investigate how the information was disclosed. Whenever a sub-group is considering involving the Ombudsman should look beyond independence and should consider all the attributes the Ombudsman must have.
Sebastien Bachollet: My feeling is that it may be good if the Transparency drafting team decide what are the requirements of the person who will make the decisions - would be best to get a list of characteristics that are required vs selecting a solution like the Ombudsman. At the end of the WS2 work there may be a requirement for an independent party to meet the various requirements of the sub-groups. Your thoughts on this approach.
Farzaneh Badii: I think the transparency group should be a little more creative and not only focus on two solutions "ombuds" or "complaint officer" for resolving denial of requests and the value it should focus on in coming up with a solution, as Herb said is independence.
Herb Waye: As I have said a sub-group cannot unilaterally assign new functions to the Ombuds office without considering the requirements of that office.
Sebastien Bachollet: Understood, I will go back to the Transparency sub-group to discuss our approach with them.

Herb Waye: Re complaint by Ed Morris vs my participation - should the group feel there is a problem I will be glad to leave.
Sebastien Bachollet: There is no issue - we have asked ICANN Legal and there is no issue - and if ever there is we will let you know.
Herb Waye Ombuds: agree entirely... please feel free to challange
avri doria: While you cannot decide on what the community view is, you must keep us on track about what is possible and what is improbable.
AI#3 from Call IOO-DT #14
Diversity
Sebastien Bachollet: Should the functions of an office of Diversity be considered by both the IOO and the Diversity sub-group
Cheryl Langdon-Orr: I have no problems with this as it will be discussed - lets send to we can get it on their agenda.
Sebastien Bachollet: I will forward to the Diversity sub-group.
#16 Monday 06 February 2017 - 0500
AOB (none)
Adjourned.