[CCWG-ACCT] CCWAccountability-WS2-Plenary-ICANN59-PostMeetringCoChairStatement

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Jun 27 13:20:47 UTC 2017

"Held a session on the Jurisdiction sub-group’s recent discussions
regarding the possibility of
changing the location of ICANN’s headquarters or creating a blanket
immunity for ICANN. In this
session it was confirmed that it was unlikely there would be consensus
in the CCWG for any
recommendation that involved changing ICANN’s headquarters’ location or
jurisdiction of
incorporation or creating a blanket immunity for ICANN. As such, the
sub-group’s work shall
focus on recommending accountability improvements that are issue-driven
remedies which
build upon ICANN’s status as a non-for-profit organization headquartered
in California."

Is this now a CCWG decision, or still an interposition by its chairs?

If the former, is there a process for that which got followed at the f2f
meeting? I ask because I really dont know much about the processes being
followed here. My apologies for that. Other than the CCWG and sub groups
chairs who appeared completely unflappable in face of numerous
questions, doubts and criticisms raised by those present, and largely
refused to engage with them, from my limited process knowledge, I am
unable to see how it could be said that the CCWG approved this
"decision". Just want to be sure.

Apart from the the process, I find problems with the substance of the
"decision". There were certainly very significant push back on the
"immunity" part of the "decision", in the sub-group discussions as well
as at the f2f meeting, with whatever qualifications the term is included
in the "decision". The meaning and manner of such possible
qualifications and modulations of the "concept of immunity" themselves
are an issue to be discussed and decided by the group.... By introducing
some arbitrary, and certainly premature, terms in this regard, any
possible discussion on the subject is greatly compromised. Some people
will keep reading different meanings in this decision about what kinds
of immunity based solutions can or cannot be discussed, which will ruin
the possibility of a useful, open discussion on the subject.

In face of the considerable push back in the sub group, CCWG chair "went
on the record" (his words) in the sub group elist to say that he did not
meant to exclude discussions on "partial or relative" immunity. In the
circumstances, I understand by this new term "blanket immunity" just
such immunity that would disable ICANN from remaining a non-for-profit
registered in California.

Parminder