[CCWG-ACCT] Notes, recordings and transcript for Ombudsman Subgroup Meeting #19 | 27 March 2017

MSSI Secretariat mssi-secretariat at icann.org
Mon Mar 27 15:46:24 UTC 2017

Hello all,

The notes, recordings and transcripts for CCWG Accountability WS2 Ombudsman Subgroup Meeting #19 – 27 March 2017 will be available here:  https://community.icann.org/x/0LHRAw

 A copy of the notes may be found below.  Thank you.

With kind regards,
Brenda Brewer, Projects & Operations Assistant
Multistakeholder Strategy & Strategic Initiatives (MSSI)
[cid:image001.png at 01D2A6E7.60BC3910]

Notes  (including relevant parts of chat):
5 participants at start of call (+7 staff, Ombuds, Board member and consultant)
Roll Call / Apologies – Welcome
Sebastien Bachollet - Agenda approved, no changes to SOIs.
Participation & Dashboard
Sebastien Bachollet - Draft dashboard response (no objections).
External review of the ICANN Ombuds Office
Interviews
Lars Hoffmann - update on interviews. Survey may overlap with some surveys but this is not seen as an issue.
 Survey
Lars Hoffmann - We have no issues with any of the comments you have made.
Phil Khoury - not expecting a vast number of responses - so the results of the survey may not be statistically significant.
Sebastien Bachollet - understood and agreed. I will close comments on the questionnaire and you can finalize it after that.
Phil Khoury – (presentation of survey)
Sebastien Bachollet - We have agreed that it is the Office of the Ombuds and not Ombudsman.
Herb Waye - bylaws say Office of the Ombudsman and new rules say Office of the Ombudsperson.
avri doria: Might also be good to ask people whether they have ever been the target of an ombuds investigation/complaints, simlar to 3/4
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): good point Phil focus on the office/? function jot individuals
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): good addition @Avri - should include organizations or groups and this should be include.It happened to me when I was Chair of the ALAC.
avri doria: could speak of being party to one, and then asking whether as a complainant, defendnat, of 3rd party. then other questions can focus on party and answeres can be correlated.  though some people may have been all three.
avri doria: ... complainant, defendant, or third party
Sebastien Bachollet - this sounds like a good idea but probably difficult to integrate into this questionnaire.
Phil Khoury - indeed - we will look at doing this.
Sebastien Bachollet - Any further comments or questions? (none). PK please proceed with adjustments as discussed.
Asha Hemrajani: I have a general question on the distribution of this survey. How will this be distributed as widely as possible?
Lars Hoffmann - We will have the survey translated - it will go up on the ICANN Website - have also readched out to the policy dept and will use the regional news letters and social media. I will write a quick draft which can be a basis to communicate this your personal contacts.
Asha Hemrajani: Thanks Lars.  I like the idea of the personal note
Asha Hemrajani: We should aim for a high response rate to get feedback from as large a base as possible.
Sebastien Bachollet - when do we stop accepting responses.
Lars Hoffmann - suggest we play it by ear - will discuss after the two weeks.
Asha Hemrajani: Lars' approach makes sense.
Asha Hemrajani: Herb, perhaps you could include the link to the survey on your blog?  Suggestion
Herb Waye - will distribute widely through a blog post, my website and my contact list.
Asha Hemrajani: excellent Herb!
ICANN Anti-Harassment Policy
Sebastien Bachollet - This is here to remind us that we have to include this is the tasks of the Ombuds Office. My concern is in the Board resolution in the last part where the CEO is the responsible for evaluating if this is the best place for this - concerned vs independence. Additionally, CONTINUE TO MONITOR is troubling - the Board yes but ICANN org sounds like it goes against the Bylaws. We need to include this in our work.
avri doria: why is The Organization evaluating whether the program is appropriate for the community?
Klaus Stoll: Sebastien, you have a point here!
Klaus Stoll: Yes, this needs to be addressed in our recommendations.
avri doria: but our group, i assume you mean this subgroup, is transitory and should blink out of existence at some point in the not too distant future.
Herb Waye Ombuds: I agree... ICANN organization has an anti-harassment policy for HR, there may be some crosscontamination but the community should review for itself
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): periodic reviews
cheryl Langdon-Orr - periodic reviews seem to be the way forward. Re concern - re gender of who you complaining to - it is a very complex thing - and would warn us away from this rabbit hole - first we have have to stop saying male and female - its gender - next any professional Ombuds has all sorts of tools and options etc. So would recommend we keep a LIGHT TOUCH on this.
Sebastien Bachollet - reason I am raising this is the Board resolution.
Sebastien (ALAC): Resolved (2017.03.16.12), the Board directs the President and CEO, or his designee(s), to (1) ensure that the Organization continues to monitor whether the Office of the Ombudsman is the appropriate place for Community members to file a complaint under the Community Anti-Harassment Policy, and to annually review the Policy for future enhancements, as needed; (2) make ICANN Organization's Human Resources department available to assist in complaints where the complainant has indicated a preference to engage with a person of a different gender than the current Ombudsman.
Herb Waye - best quick fix is to have a female adjunct. Will be discussing this when I go to LA in a few weeks. Hope to have a solid answer in the short term.
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): it may be more than gender and same gender can also be a problem as well
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): yes adjunct is a way forward Herb
Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO): also working in isolation with a complaint can also be a concern
Next meeting
 #20 Monday 3 April 2017
AOB (none)