[Accred-Model] Letter from FIRST to ICANN regarding GDPR impact on WHOIS

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Fri Apr 20 21:57:45 UTC 2018

> It would be of real benefit if FIRST and WP29 came up together with
> legal basis for accessing whole data repositories in doing threat
> intelligence, anti-abuse and incident response, ...

A quick look at Article 6, section 1, of the GDPR, finds subsection e) a
task carried out in the public interest, and f) legitimate interests [of]
the controller or a third party.  Considering the GAC advice that ICANN
has received, I think the case for both public interest and legitimate
interest are overwhelming.

You may disagree, but give it a rest, please.

Regards,

PS: I do agree that consent is not a strong basis here.