[Accred-Model] WP29 statement on WHOIS

Aikman-Scalese, Anne AAikman at lrrc.com
Thu May 3 01:03:26 UTC 2018

Thanks Scott. I certainly believe that the concepts you discuss as to “registered agent” are relevant here.  The DPAs are going to be shocked at the abuse cases if people are unable to reach sellers (and collectors of charitable contributions) who are perpetrating fraud on Internet users.  Having said that, I think it would be good for us to find out if EU countries require the equivalent of a “registered agent” for entities formed in various EU member states.  I personally don’t know much at all about this “registered agent for service of process” issue in the EU.

If a solution is not reached, there are going to be tons of lawsuits, including against ISPs and registrars, as well as an overwhelming inbox at abuse at registrar.com<mailto:abuse at registrar.com>.  Hopefully the registrars are adding personnel to handle these complaints in a reasonably timely manner.
Anne

Anne E. Aikman-Scalese

Of Counsel

520.629.4428 office