[ALT-Plus] [ALAC-Members] AFRALO NomCom candidate

Seun Ojedeji seun.ojedeji at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 10:29:45 UTC 2019

Hello Maureen,

While I know that it's possible this does not receive a response, I will
write it anyway :-)

Sent from my mobile
Kindly excuse brevity and typos

On Thu, 4 Jul 2019, 11:00 Maureen Hilyard, <maureen.hilyard at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Mohamed
>
> In my original email I made the following statements: "Because the ALAC is
> entitled to propose someone if no other contender is brought to our
> attention, another recommendation has been made ....  *Hadia Elminiawi *has
> accepted to take on this role.... I hope that this recommendation meets
> with your approval."   An extra week has already been granted to enable the
> RALO to make a decision.
>
> However, in light of the current conversation, it appears that AFRALO and
> its leadership still require an additional week to provide an answer to the
> ALAC on whether the RALO endorses the identified candidate by the ALAC or
> if it has a second candidate to subject to the ALAC's evaluation process.

SO: This is actually very very unfortunate way of twisting words; you have
not officially communicated to AFRALO leadership the decision of ALAC, you
were only stating your views as Chair(and perhaps views of some
unidentified ALAC members). Why you then started your countdown from last
week remains strange to me.
You claim ALAC identified a candidate, I am still on ALAC but I wasn't
consulted, why was that?

> The proposal of Hadia Elminawi could not be done earlier because, first of
> all, we wanted to provide the AFRALO community with the opportunity to
> propose their candidate in the usual manner. Unfortunately, AFRALO's
> preferred candidate did not comply with the requirements set by the ALAC.

SO: I know I could not be physically present in Marrakech but I followed a
number of the sessions remotely, at which of meetings was this determined
by ALAC please?

  Therefore, the identification of Hadia Elminawi as the feasible candidate
> proposed by the ALAC only came after the fact of identifying the original
> candidate as non-compliant.

SO: I personally think Hadia will be a great candidate no doubt, my concern
is with the process, please when did ALAC decide upon who to propose? Can
you provide reference to this on the wiki?

> I hope you find this proposed way forward to be both feasible and
> respectful of the bottom-up process we guide our decisions on.  Kindly note
> that the week for evaluation will begin running on July 5 at 00:00 UTC and
> will end on July 12 at 23:59 UTC.

SO: I am not Mohamed but I must say I find your engagement quite
undemocratic nor is it bottom up. I hope the AFRALO leadership would be
able to meetup with the timing, I suggest that we try give 2 weeks instead
of a week.

> If by the conclusion of the period granted, the ALAC does not receive
> either the endorsement of the ALAC's identified candidate or the proposal
> of an alternate candidate, the ALAC will start a vote for designating its
> currently identified candidate.

SO: Here we go with the top down orders again.

Overall, the unfortunate part of all this is that you won't be in a
position to fix any issues/divisions that may arise within AFRALO as a
result of your/our  top down approach to things. I am saying this not just
as current ALAC but as incoming AFRALO Chair :-)

Regards