[ALT-Plus] [ALAC-Members] Fellowship mentor and ABRs

ABDULKARIM AYOPO OLOYEDE oloyede.aa at unilorin.edu.ng
Mon Jan 6 21:36:43 UTC 2020

Dear Maureen,
I would like to point out the following.
1. AASC is not known in the ICANN bylaw rather is it explicitly recognised
in the Atlarg's rules of procedure  (RoP) hence it cannot make
appointments on behalf of ALAC. Section 18.3 of RoP can be used to
recognise AASC in a way but it can only serve as advisory.  The rule of
procedure is very clear on who does the appointment.  18.1 reads
18.1 : "Appointments of At-Large Appointees to various bodies both inside
and outside of ICANN will be made by the ALAC. Such appointments will
normally be initiated by a call for volunteers, posted by the Chair/Staff
to the Approved Distribution Lists, and on other lists if appropriate,
allowing at least seven days for people to volunteer. The decision
regarding appointments is typically made via Consensus. However, the Chair
will initiate a secret ballot to determine which candidate is to be
appointed if Consensus cannot be reached or if  this is  requested by any
ALAC Member."
2. The RoP also recognises that the incumbent can be reconfirmed but a vote
of the ALAC is still required for that decision as section 18.2 reads.
18.2 By the decision of the ALAC, a current Appointee who is willing to
continue in that role maybe reconfirmed instead of initiating a new
selection process.

However, I want us to understand that section 18.2 cannot be applicable in
this case as the person presented is not the current appointee. Section 8.4
of the RoP is clear on this as a replacement can ONLY  serve for the
remainder of the incumbent’s term. If a replacement is to be reappointed
section 18.1 must be followed.

I just believe that following the laid down rules is better than a
shortcut. From indications based on the response we might still achieve
what is intended but we would not be setting a precedent of not following
the rules.

Thanks

AK

Website <http://www.unilorin.edu.ng>, Weekly Bulletin