[APRALO-Policy] INTERPOL’s ASEAN Cyberthreat Assessment 2021

Gopal Tadepalli gopal.tadepalli at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 09:47:11 UTC 2021

Dear All,

Further to my earlier mail in the trace, please consider reading the INTERPOL’s
ASEAN Cyberthreat Assessment 2021 report at:

https://www.interpol.int/en/News-and-Events/News/2021/INTERPOL-report-charts-top-cyberthreats-in-Southeast-Asia

The INTERPOL’s ASEAN Cybercrime Operations Desk (ASEAN Desk) with the
support from law enforcement agencies in the region and INTERPOL’s private
sector cybersecurity partners identify the region’s top cyberthreats:

   - *Business E-mail Compromise* campaigns continue to top the chart with
   businesses suffering major losses, as it is a high-return investment with
   low cost and risk.
   - *Phishing*. Cybercriminals are exploiting the widespread use of global
   communications on information related to COVID-19 to deceive unsuspecting
   victims.
   - *Ransomware*. Cybercrime targeting hospitals, medical centers and
   public institutions for ransomware attacks has increased rapidly as
   cybercriminals believe they have a higher chance of success given the
   medical crisis in many countries.
   - *E-commerce data interception* poses an emerging and imminent threat
   to online shoppers, undermining trust in online payment systems.
   - *Crimeware-as-a-Service* puts cybercriminal tools and services in the
   hands of a wider range of threat actors – even non-technical ones, to the
   extent that anyone can become a cybercriminal with minimal ‘investment’.
   - *Cyber Scams*. With the increase of online transactions and more
   people working from home, cybercriminals have revised their online scams
   and phishing schemes, even impersonating government and health authorities
   to lure victims into providing their personal information and downloading
   malicious content.
   - *Cryptojacking *continues to be on the radar of cybercriminals as the
   value of cryptocurrencies increases.

 Gopal T V

0 9840121302https://vidwan.inflibnet.ac.in/profile/57545https://www.facebook.com/gopal.tadepalli
Dr. T V Gopal