[arabic-vip] Digit mixing

Alireza Saleh alireza at irnic.ir
Wed Aug 24 06:35:52 UTC 2011

Dr. Shahshahani told me there was a discussion in the telephone conference on why Western Arabic digits cannot be mixed with Eastern Arabic and ASCII digits.Here is the answer:

The digit mixing is not allowed in IDNA2008 because of the BIDI properties of the three well known digit sets:

ASCII and Eastern Arabic digits are EN(European Number), Western Arabic digits are AN(Arabic Number), so mixing AN and EN properties will cause visual confusions within a label in some cases. Look at the attached example, I have entered the same sequence of characters for both labels but I have mixed two digit-sets in the first one and you can see the Eastern Arabic digit 6 jumps over the hyphen.

first example:
network order: [U+05E2, U+06F4, U+0665, U+002D, U+06F6]
Visual order: [U+06F6, U+002D, U+06F4, U+0665, U+05E2]

Second Example:
Network order: [U+05E2, U+06F4, U+06F5, U+002D, U+06F6]
Visual order: [U+06F4, U+06F5, U+002D, U+06F6, U+05E2]

and because it creates unstable labels the digit mixing is disallowed in IDNA2008.

Alireza