[arabic-vip] High level status for domain names (was Re:docstructure for dicusssion)

Manal Ismail manal at tra.gov.eg
Thu Aug 25 14:58:59 UTC 2011

If I may add here, and of course I stand to be corrected, that:
- reserved strings on a registry list are individual separate standalone records whereas
- regisrant reserved variant strings are somehow (by indexing, bundling or any other means) linked to each other, to a specific registrant and to a specific registration where actions performed on the fundamental (requested) string would affect the rest of the group members .. for example, if the requested string was unregistered this means that the whole group of variants is now available for registration even with a different string being the fundamental one ..

I'm not arguing that this could not be done in one list (maybe with variants tagged together) I'm rather stressting the different features and operational needs of each ..

Hope this makes sense ..

Kind Regards

--Manal

________________________________

من: arabic-vip-bounces at icann.org بالنيابة عن Sarmad Hussain
تاريخ الإرسال: الجمعة 26/08/2011 02:57 ص
إلى: ajs at anvilwalrusden.com; arabic-vip at icann.org
الموضوع: Re: [arabic-vip] High level status for domain names (was Re:docstructure for dicusssion)

Dear Andrew,

Yes, I see what you are suggesting.

So, yes they are similar in a context.  However, there is a logical
difference between the two types.  In the former (registry-driven), the
label and all its variants are in the same category (reserved or allowed).
In the latter (registrant-driven), a sub-set of variants may be in one
category (reserved) whilst another subset may be in a different one (e.g.
delegated).

Could that have implications on technical implementation?

Regards,
Sarmad