[arabic-vip] Notes form today's call - Monday 13-Jun

Manal Ismail manal at tra.gov.eg
Wed Jun 15 11:37:22 UTC 2011

Baher, many thanks for the notes ..

--Manal

From: arabic-vip-bounces at icann.org [mailto:arabic-vip-bounces at icann.org]
On Behalf Of baher.esmat
Sent: Monday, June 13, 2011 8:21 PM
To: arabic-vip at icann.org
Subject: [arabic-vip] Notes form today's call - Monday 13-Jun

All,

Again my apologies for the poor quality of the call today. I'm going to
check if we have better options for future calls.

Here is my notes from today's call, and since my line quality was not
any better than yours, I may have missed some of what you've said.
Please feel free to correct me. Also, those who had questions or
comments during the call and were not able to bring them up, feel free
to do so here on the list.

Monday 13 June, 2011 - 15:00-16:00 UTC

Present on the call:
Arabic case study team: Sarmad Hussein, Raed Al-Fayez, Mohamed
El-Bashir, Manal Ismail, Khaled Koubaa, Huba Sarfraz, Fahd Batayneh,
Behnam Esfahbod, Iftikhar Shah, Alireza Saleh

ICANN staff/consultants: Dennis Jennings, Andrew Sullivan, Kim Davies,
Francisco Arias, Baher Esmat

*	Dennis Jennings acknowledged the number and quality of people
who volunteered to participate in the Arabic case study. He introduced
ICANN staff who will be supporting the Arabic team, and announced that
ictQatar had been selected as a local host for the Arabic case study.
Dennis talked briefly to the project, its scope and deliverables. Dennis
asked Andrew Sullivan to elaborate on the technical problem of having
multiple TLDs acting the same.
*	Andrew said that there are a couple of DNS aliasing technologies
but neither of which works at the top level. There is a very little
prospect for a solution that allows multiple TLDs to act exactly the
same way. It might be possible to invent such a solution but time to
develop it and implement it at the scale of the Internet would be really
long.
*	Dennis talked to the timeline from Singapore until we get the
report published in Dec 2011.
*	Sarmad Hussain asked about the agenda of the two plenary
sessions on Saturday in Singapore.
*	Dennis said ICANN project team have been working on two
documents: one on definitions or glossary of terms; and the other one on
list of initial questions on issues related to variants. If we can reach
agreement on those two documents in Singapore that would be great.
Dennis said that the two documents should be posted before Singapore
meeting. Dennis asked Andrew if he could talk a bit to the document on
definitions.
*	Andrew said that the objective is to come up with a set of
terminology that will be common for all teams. The document uses
terminology that is already used by IETF, UNICODE, etc.,  but there are
few cases where we have to use new terms. We have to make sure that
everyone is using the same terms.
*	Dennis confirmed that the agenda of the plenary session will be
circulated to the teams beforehand.
*	Sarmad said he is going to draft an agenda for the team's
meeting on Saturday and send it to the list. Sarmad asked if anyone has
suggestions for topics to discuss during the meeting.
*	Mohamed El-Bashir suggested to spend sometime during the meeting
on experiences of the Registries (ccTLD) in dealing with variants at the
different levels.
*	Sarmad suggested that the team should also look into the
definition document (glossary of terms) and see if there is something in
particular in relation to Arabic the team needs to address. The team
should list issues which are known from past work (i.e. ASIWG). The team
should also discuss working methods and schedule.
*	Dennis noted that one of the key outcomes from Singapore is for
each team to have a detailed work plan.
*	Sarmad asked Dennis to provide contact information of the focal
point at ictQatar who will be coordinating with the team.

Actions:
Baher to circulate the agenda of the Saurday's plenary sessions as soon
as its finalized.
Baher to circulate the documents on definitions and questions as soon as
they are finalized.
Baher to provide the contacts of the focal point at ictQatar.
Sarmad to draft an agenda of the team's meeting in Singapore.
Baher to circulate notes.

As said, please feel free to send more comments and questions to the
list.

Best,
Baher