[arabic-vip] short meeting with IDN VIP team

Dr.Sarmad Hussain sarmad at cantab.net
Sat Jun 25 06:07:24 UTC 2011

Dear All,

Thank you for those who could join the meetings in person and remotely.

For the benefit of those who were not present, we had met to discuss the
scope of the project.  Discussions with IDN VIP Staff made it clear that we
are focusing on issues, not solutions.  However, we should look at issues
related to Arabic variants from all perspectives, including script analysis,
formalizing the linguistic data in a table for re-use and evaluation,
delegation, operational issues e.g. related to registry operations, etc.  At
this time, the idea would be to identify all issues related to IDN Variant,
and we can always make a shorter list if needed later.

Thus, most of the questions in the document circulated by ICANN staff are
relevant, except perhaps the ones related to the pricing structures (though
we should be free to comment on them as well).

Based on discussions, ICANN staff also told us the they will review the list
of questions, and re-circulate the document after any revisions (Baher, any
date on that?).

Those in Singapore, hope you have had a comfortable journey back.

regards,
Sarmad (@ singapore airport)