[arabic-vip] Final draft of Arabic Case Study Issues Document (combined with definitions)

Siavash Shahshahani shahshah at irnic.ir
Sun Oct 2 16:35:07 UTC 2011

Hi All,
I personally think the text is very fine and balanced with all sides of
controversial matters covered. I am enclosing a short list of very minor
edits. One thing I should have noted earlier (not important for the text
but related to the ealy remarks about writing styles) is that Nastaliq is
no longer the dominant style for Farsi (at least in Iran); it is being
gradually supplanted by Naskh. When I was in school, children were taught
to write in a style which was simplified Nastaliq, nowadays the style is
much closer to Naskh. In printing press and multimedia Naskh dominates, but
Nastaliq is still the favored style for calligraphy.
Best,
Siavash

Dear All,

Here is another pass on the document, with all the current reviews and
comments analyzed and (many) incorporated.  This has been done to capture
the common understanding of the group (not possible to capture all
individual comments).

Please accept my apologies if I have skipped anything significant.  Kindly
go through this and flag any final issues you may want to raise on this
document.

If there is still significant disagreement, I would suggest we arrange a
conference call and thrash things out (depends on the final response to
this document on this email list).

Again, a redline and cleaned version is included.  If you want to suggest
any changes, please use the cleaned version.

Dear Baher and Mohammed,

Kindly go ahead with the final formatting of this document and a