[arabic-vip] agenda for conference call today (on Version 0.8)

Siavash Shahshahani shahshah at irnic.ir
Tue Oct 4 08:33:52 UTC 2011

Dear Sarmad,
As I'll be joining the conference half an hour late and I haven't had a
chance to look at the latest document yet, let me just say a couple of
words on agenda items:

> 1.       We have not discussed in greater detail whether we are
> recommending character level or position level variants.  This is an
> important point as it has a great impact on the possible variants which
are
> generated (and also the variety of TLDs which are available).  (I am
> thinking of adding a note on the appendices saying that the current
tables
> are only valid for character level variants and need to be revisited for
> positional variance)

I think this fine-tuning for position is necessary especially in view of
the variety of 'heh's and 'yeh's we have to deal with.

> 3.       We have the following points in the ZWNJ discussion.  We need
> discuss whether to include them in the final version.

I'll try to go over this section before the phone conference>

4.       The team has spent considerable time on the section on dispute
> resolution.  There is a suggestion to delete this section as it is not
> relevant.  The team (with feedback from the IDN VIP team) needs to
discuss
> and decide on this.

I think this is quite relevant because part of the registry contract for a
new gTLD is accepting UDRP. Now for IDNs, it must be made clear whether
changes to UDRP are necessary. The questions asked in that section are the
kinds of things ICANN should clarify. In addition, there is also the matter
of challenges to gTLD applications based on string similarity, etc.
Regards,
Siavash