[arabic-vip] Issues Document

Siavash Shahshahani shahshah at irnic.ir
Mon Sep 5 12:41:07 UTC 2011

Dear Sarmad,
Here is my suggestion: Instead of
i.	Should a character set identify the set of language(s) it supports?
This could be a single language, multiple languages or the entire script.
Though need to identify a language is not necessary for labels, it does
promote more consistent re-use of tables, for example,  as has been
encouraged by the ICANN’s Fast Track process.
split this into two, both posed as questions, as follows:
i.	Should a character set identify the set of language(s) it supports?
This could be a single language, multiple languages or the entire script.
ii.      What are the issues, advantages and disadvantages of identifying
languages purportedly supported by the registry's character table?
And then re-number the rest of items in this paragraph.
Best
Siavash

On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 20:21:27 -0700, "Dr.Sarmad Hussain" <sarmad at cantab.net>
wrote:
> Dear Siavash,
>
> I certainly understand and support the point of view that we need to
start
> getting away from a very language-centric terminology and argumentation,
> especially in the case of gTLDs.  However, where TLDs are languages
> dependent (e.g. in ccTLDs in some cases and also perhaps for some gTLD
> applications (we do not know yet)), there are advantages of identifying
> language table, e.g. re-use, as has been done by ICANN in the Fast Track
> process.  That is what I have tried to capture.
>
> BTW, I would think that language specific tables would be more
innovative
> (because they would be technologically more challenging to implement)
vs.
> script specific tables, latter being a simpler subset of the former in
> terms
> of rules/constraints.
>
> However, if you think the sentiments are not appropriately captured,
could
> request you to suggest a revision in the text.
>
> regards,
> Sarmad
>

> On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 4:22 PM, Siavash Shahshahani
> <shahshah at irnic.ir>wrote:
>
>> Dear Sarmad,
>> I looked very briefly at the newly-edited document; thank you for the
>> detailed work. Specifically, the part I had ben discussing looks much
>> better from my viewpoint. As long as we phrase matters in question
form,
>> there is generally no harm or bias. There was one non-interrogative
>> statement which I quote:

>> i.      Though need to identify a language is not necessary for labels,
>> it
>> does
>> promote more consistent re-use of tables, for example,  as has been
>> encouraged by the ICANN’s Fast Track process.

>> I don't want to get into a discussion at this stage (I can point out
>> disadvantages of language identification as well), but please note that
>> fast-track had its own specific requirements and limitations, one of
>> which
>> was single script per official language. That's how 'language' crept
in.
>> My
>> general fear about such statements is that the simple existence of some
>> difficulties will encourage very conservative attitudes that could
impede
>> innovation and creative problem-solving in IDN sphere. A simple test
>> would
>> be to ask the same questions about ASCII. Except for specific
DNS-related
>> matters carried out in ASCII, there should be no difference of
attitude.
>> Regards,
>> Siavash
>>
>> On Sun, 4 Sep 2011 23:44:11 -0700, "Sarmad Hussain"
>> <sarmad.hussain at kics.edu.pk> wrote:
>> > Agree that "language" table is a misnomer.  Not sure what to call it,
>> > perhaps a "registry supported character set and variant table"?
>> >
>> > I am rewording this in the revised version 0.4 (will circulate it
>> > tonight).  Please check the text and make sure it meets your
>> expectations.
>> >
>> > Regards,
>> > Sarmad

If