[arabic-vip] Draft Definitions Doc. ver 2.0 05Sep11 ..

Manal Ismail manal at tra.gov.eg
Tue Sep 6 09:12:48 UTC 2011

Dear All ..

Please find attached a first cut of the definitions document .. It is
based on the updated document posted at:
https://community.icann.org/display/VIP/Resources+for+All+Cases where I
tried to use as much of the already defined terms as possible .. It's
worth noting that the definitions attached are not ordered
alphabetically as we tried to order them thematically hoping that this
would make it easier to follow and understand ..

I do apologize as the draft looks a bit crowded .. It contains some
pending questions and remarks from Sarmad and me that I thought would be
better to leave as they provide some clarification on the reasoning
behind the suggested changes and some food for thought to kick off the
discussion ..

Here is the key to the document :) :
- Definitions from the original document that hold to the Arabic Script
case study are in normal 'Black' text

- Definitions from the original document that do not hold and are not
needed for the Arabic Script case are stroked through with no
alternative suggestion ..

- Definitions from the original document that do not hold as is but are
needed for the Arabic Script case are highlighted in 'Grey' and marked
by an '*' .. Since it was advised by the doc. creators not to change any
of the definitions but suggest new ones, alternative definitions are
suggested in a separate following definition in 'Blue'.. I temporarily
added '- Arabic Script' to each 'Term' until we agree how to proceed ..

- Definitions of terms that have been discussed but are not in the
original document are introduced in 'Red' .. I have not put much effort
yet in accurately defining those terms until we agree on whether we need
them or not and agree that the inserted sentence(s) describes our common
understanding of those terms ..

On another note, in the context of definitions, I have the following
general questions:
- I'm not sure when to use 'String' vs. 'Label'
- I'm not sure whether 'Delegated' means the same thing as 'Registered'
and whether 'Allocated' means the same thing as 'Reserved'
- I'm not sure how the language table would look like .. is it a
2-column table, one for the 'Valid Code Points' of the language and the
other for its 'Character Variants, if any ? and do we agree to have it
called 'Language Variant Table'? Do we have more than one type of
Tables?

Appreciate your feedback and apologies for asking so many questions
rather than providing answers ..
I hope you'll have the time to think those questions over and go through
the document thoroughly ..
Looking forward to a fruitful discussion online and ultimately in our
upcoming f-2-f meeting in Doha ..

Kind Regards

--Manal