[arabic-vip] Draft Definitions Doc. ver 2.0 05Sep11 ..

Manal Ismail manal at tra.gov.eg
Tue Sep 6 17:00:21 UTC 2011

Thanks Andrew ..
Comments inline below ..

Kind Regards

--Manal

________________________________

من: arabic-vip-bounces at icann.org بالنيابة عن Andrew Sullivan
تاريخ الإرسال: الثلاثاء 06/09/2011 03:37 م
إلى: arabic-vip at icann.org
الموضوع: Re: [arabic-vip] Draft Definitions Doc. ver 2.0 05Sep11 ..

Hi,

I haven't looked yet at the attachment, but thanks for it.  I look
forward to reading it.

I can answer a couple questions right away, however.

On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 11:12:48AM +0200, Manal Ismail wrote:
> On another note, in the context of definitions, I have the following
> general questions:
> - I'm not sure when to use 'String' vs. 'Label'

For this, I suggest that if something is either a candidate U-label or
(less likely in this case) a candidate A-label, then use the word
"string".  If it is actually a U-label or A-label under IDNA2008 and
registered somewhere, then use "Label" (and it might not be a bad idea
to use U-label or A-label).

Thanks .. noted ..

> - I'm not sure whether 'Delegated' means the same thing as 'Registered'
> and whether 'Allocated' means the same thing as 'Reserved'

I don't think so.

A Delegated domain is actually in a zone somewhere: it resolves in the
DNS.  Moreover, it resolves because a parent zone has put (at least
one) NS record into the parent-side zone, and that NS record actually
points to an authoritative DNS server for the name in question.  A
DNAME on the parent side is not Delegated (we should have had a word
for this case, but we didn't add one).  For a U-label, of course, what
this actually means is that the A-label corresponding to that U-label
is in a zone somewhere.  U-labels themselves don't appear in the DNS.

Thanks .. It's now more clear how registration simply makes a label unavailable whereas the delegation has to do with the process of the DNS parent pointing to the DNS of a child.  But if the definition of delegation is "In a DNS context, the act of entering parent-side NS (nameserver) records in a zone, thereby creating a subordinate namespace with its own SOA (start of authority) record." would this differ from a definition of activation? Does activation involve anything more ?

We avoided the term Registered because of the possibility of different
kinds of registration in the registry.  For instance, names that are
reserved for administrative reasons (think of all two-character
A-labels, for instance) could be reserved simply by registration.  But
those are not allocated to anyone.

ok ..

An allocation is the association of a name with some administratively
responsible party.  In registries, this is usually achieved by the
standard registration practice.

Thanks Andrew .. In a broader context, the issue is that we need to know whether terms such as: register, allocate, activate, delegate, reserve (in variants context), reserve (in a global public list), block, bundle, .... etc are different, overlap or identical just to make sure whether we need to define any term that is not already defined or whether some of those could be used interchangeably .. Siavash has kindly volunteered to compile an exhaustive list of such terms afterwhich we can have an elaborate discussion to ensure we have a common understanding of each ..

For example, if the definition of Allocation is "In a DNS context, the first step on the way to Delegation. A registry (the parent side) is managing a zone. The registry makes an administrative association between a string and some entity that requests the string, making the string a label inside the zone, and a candidate for delegation. Allocation does not affect the DNS itself at all." would a definition of a reserved variant be different?

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs at anvilwalrusden.com