[arabic-vip] Draft Definitions Doc. ver 2.0 05Sep11 ..

Siavash Shahshahani shahshah at irnic.ir
Wed Sep 7 03:41:42 UTC 2011

Hi All,
Please find attached what I am taking to be my task from this morning's
telephone call. Actually I really don't see any reason for defining general
registry/DNS/Unicode terms such as delegation, blocking, glyph,...in this
document. As is pointed out in the preamble to ICANN document, they're not
trying to re-invent the wheel. After the cogent explanations by Andrew
Sullivan, I think Manal should be convinced that these terms are already
satisfactorily defined. What you see in the attached document are mainly my
rendering of what Manal did in perhaps a less complicated way and with some
deletions (where I strongly disagreed). I have taken the ICANN document in
the same order it was and provided some editing. Additions are in red;
highlighted passages and Notes in shades of green are clearly noted. A
couple of remarks:
1. An important item missing and especially necessary for Arabic script is
the further splitting of a character into four cases (initial, medial,
terminal and isolated) to fine-tune the locating of variants.
2. The constant reference to 'language', as in 'language table' or
'language variant table' in the original document is a confusing legacy of
the past and should be abandoned. I suggested elsewhere 'TLD Table' since
each proposed TLD must provide a character table of its permissible code
points.
Regard,
Siavash