[arabic-vip] IDN-IDN Variants User Interface/Application issues

Mohammed El-Bashir mbashir at ict.gov.qa
Sat Sep 24 00:51:02 UTC 2011

>From a user interface or applications prospective, delegated or active variants set will face almost the same current IDN issues related to user interfaces and applications .

But also there is also variants only specific issues For example whois and who variants are displayed, and also registry systems should be able to handle variants .

Kind Regards,
Mohamed

On Sep 23, 2011, at 8:16 PM, "Andrew Sullivan" <ajs at anvilwalrusden.com> wrote:

> Dear colleagues,
>
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 06:49:34PM +0300, Fahd Batayneh wrote:
>
>> Iftikhar, since Mohammad and myself worked on the document you are
>> referring to, I can claim to answer your question. You see, the
>> issues mentioned in the document are applicable to one IDN (one
>> unique A-Label), and since variants represent the same domain name
>> but with different A-Labels, we can consider that the same issues
>> mentioned in the document apply to each unique A-Label regardless.
>
> They're neither the same domain name as U-label nor as A-label, I
> think.  That is, if you have a variant, it is because there are two
> U-labels for the same string of abstract characters, once those
> abstract characters are coded in Unicode and normalized using NFC; or
> else for two such strings that are too close to be reliably
> distinguished by users.  If they were the same string, then there'd be
> no problem.
>
> Right?

> --
> Andrew Sullivan
> ajs at anvilwalrusden.com

Mohammed El-Bashir

Section Manager-Numbering,interconnection & Internet Domain

The information in
this email and any attachments thereto, may contain information that is confidential, protected by intellectual property rights, and may be legally
privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee(s). Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. Any use, disclosure, copying, or distribution of
the information contained herein by persons other than the designated addressee is unauthorized and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, you
should delete this message immediately from your system. If you believe that you have received this email in error, please contact the sender or ictQATAR at +
974 (4) 935 922 or abuse at ict.gov.qa, any views expressed in this email or its attachments are those of the individual sender except where the sender, expressly and
with authority, states them to be the views of ictQATAR.