[arabic-vip] ZWNJ (earlier: [vip] Overarching principles used in Devanagari team report)

Behnam Esfahbod behnam at esfahbod.info
Sun Sep 25 00:58:04 UTC 2011

Dear Andrew,

I understand what you are saying, and being a technical person myself,
I completely agree that evolution in the protocols and standards is
much better  that sudden big changes. But the main point remains,
which is what should be included in the first step and what is not
necessary. All I have been trying to say in the few months is that
ZWNJ is "necessary" for Persian language.

For example, Harkats (the combining mark characters) are optional in
Persian language, i.e. that they are used in hand-written documents
very rarely. We know that some day some organization may prefer to
have them in their TLD, but that would be a "rare" case. The case of
ZWNJ is nothing like this.

-Behnam

--
    '     بهنام اسفهبد