[atrt2] AT-Large discussion paper on ICANN legitimacy challenges and proposals

Steve Crocker steve at shinkuro.com
Mon Mar 18 17:22:19 UTC 2013

Avri,

Thanks for forwarding the reference to the R3 paper.  I think it's an important paper because it represents the views of several thoughtful, senior active members of the community.  I am under the impression this does not represent the official position of the ALAC, but I might be misremembering.  I thought the ALAC released it as a contribution to the community's dialog, which is perfectly appropriate.

To get the discussion started, I'll also offer that I found myself disagreeing with some of the suggestions in that paper and unclear about what was really meant by other parts.  I'll have to reread the paper to summon for the details.

I think it's up to the review team to decide what level of recognition to give to this paper.  For example, we might simply reference the paper as something we've looked at and not deal with it explicitly.  At the other extreme, we might devote an entire chapter to the paper, effectively giving it equal status with our charter.  Or we might choose some path in between these extremes.  I recommend we first consider the content of the paper before deciding how much weight to give it and whether and how to respond to it.

Steve